Histogram with Normal Curve
Shapes of Distributions
- Frequency distributions: represent the number of scores that occur at certain values of a variable.
- Distributions can take on a number of shapes or forms.
- The mode: most frequently occurring score.
- A unimodal distribution has one mode.
- Multimodal distributions: more than one mode
- Bimodal distribution: two modes
Rectangular or Uniform Distributions
- Uniform distribution: all values are observed equally often
- A symmetrical distribution: if cut in half, the two sides would be mirror images of one another
- Normal Distribution: a particular kind of distribution that resembles a bell (bell-shaped curve)
- A skewed distribution is not symmetrical. It is unbalanced
Negatively Skewed Distribution
Positively Skewed Distribution
Latest posts by Ayla Myrick (see all)